ARE YOU READY FOR WINTER?
We may see our first snowflakes fly this weekend as cold, wet weather makes its way to the Twin Cities. Hopefully this will be a brief interruption of our regularly scheduled Fall, but that got me thinking…Are we ready for Winter? More importantly, is our roof ready? Let this weekend wake us up to the realization that Winter is coming…SOON! And let us be prepared.
Here’s what you can do to get your roof ready for Winter:
1. CLEAN YOUR ROOF!
- First, consider removing any branches that hang over your roof. (This might be a good time to call in a professional tree trimmer.) On windy days, these overhanging branches could be scraping off layers of asphalt. Leaves and debris may drop directly onto your roof or gutters potentially causing mold, clogging up your gutters and downspouts, and causing deterioration. There is also danger in a storm if an overhanging limb breaks off onto your roof. Experts suggest trimming branches/limbs back 3 to 8 feet from your house. But again, you might want to call and have that done by a professional. Safety first!
- Next, get rid of the collected debris. No need to climb on top of your roof. (In fact, we do not suggest that.) An easy way to remove leaves, sticks, pine needles and other debris from your roof is with a leaf blower. You could also use a broom to clear away the debris, but don’t put too much pressure on the handle. Absolutely no pressure washers, please!
- Lastly, take care of your gutters and downspouts. You want them free and clear going into the Winter months. Clogged gutters can cause costly damage to your home that can easily be prevented with a little maintenance. No gutters? We’ve got you covered. Give us a call! 651-464-0234
As you clean, make sure to watch for signs of roof trouble:
- an excessive amount of asphalt granules in your gutters
- curling, buckling, blistering, or missing shingles
- damaged flashings, vents, or skylights
- masses of moss and lichen
If you have any concerns, contact our experienced roofing professionals. We will gladly inspect the integrity of your roof and answer any questions you may have.
2. INSPECT YOUR ROOF FROM THE GROUND!
Take a walk around your house and look for the following signs of trouble:
- mold and mildew on the outside of the soffits and fascia
- peeling or chipped paint on wood soffits and fascia
- any cracks, gaps, peeled paint, or rotted wood
Again if you see any areas of concern, give us a call! 651-464-0234
3. EXAMINE YOUR ROOF FROM THE INSIDE!
Early signs of roof deterioration can often be detected inside your home. Look for the following when inspecting the interior:
- In the home…
- do you see any water stains or sagging areas on the ceilings?
- do you have any other signs of water damage?
- In the attic…
- do you see daylight streaming through your roof?
- does your attic have proper ventilation?
- is your attic properly insulated?
- is there evidence of insects or animals?
- do you see any dark streaks or stains on the roof or walls?
A properly insulated attic is one of the best and simplest ways to keep your home nice and comfortable this Winter as well as keeping the costs down on your heating bill. If you are not sure how well your attic is insulated, or if you have any other questions or concerns, please contact our office. We would love to help you make sure your home is ready for Winter!